Is anyone using Hangfire in production?

As part of justifying the use of Hangfire in our company I would like to know who, if anyone, is actually using Hangfire in production. I’m excited to finally see a .NET product that looks comparable to Celery, but without evidence that it’s used in production I’ll have a tough sell to our engineering leadership. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I just recently discovered hangfire and after some testing I am introducing it into a production site with users in different timezones. I plan to use it for various notifications and reporting delivered by e-mail.

1 Like

I just presented Hangfire as a solution to the management team and they wanted to know who is using this in their systems now. They get the same question from potential clients all the time. I was able to come up with technical solutions for most business questions they had, but couldn’t name any companies using this in a production environment. If anyone is using this, please make sure to tell the rest of us here.

1 Like

We just started using Hangfire in production. We are using it for sending scheduled push notifications and rebuilding some caches. Keep in mind that we’re a startup and we’re fine with shipping fast and dirty without major test effort, so I don’t think your management team will be moved by the fact that we’re using it, but still :slight_smile:

Oh, and here’s a link to our website, if you need it - http://clusterize.co.

2 Likes

I just deployed Hangfire as the core backbone of the intranet of a Fortune 15 company. Incredibly useful, and with Redis as a backing store I’m processing millions of micro tasks a day.
I dumped our job queue earlier because of a redis reconfiguration, but this is how many jobs we’ve processed in the past 4-5 hours or so. I think on slow times it averages about 24/second.

The only issue I’ve encountered so far was due to a misconfiguration in Redis and unrelated to Hangfire as a product. I can highly recommend Hangfire for production.

8 Likes

Really helpful to know, thanks. Can you clarify whether you’re running the Windows port of Redis or whether you’re running a mixed environment? I’m curious how production-ready the port is.

Redis on Windows was great for dev and staging. I personally wouldn’t attempt it in production.

So you’re running Hangfire on your Windows boxes and point it to Redis running on Linux boxes? Or do you use a cloud solution for Redis? We’re a small shop but just trying to get a sense of our options. Our volume of transaction processing would be significantly smaller.

That is correct. We have 10 windows boxes running a custom windows service that self-hosts SignalR, Nancy, and Hangfire. Each node has 40 Hangfire workers. We use two redis nodes: one for the Hangfire and SignalR backplanes (on separate db #'s) and another for application cache.

2 Likes

I am using it in two production sites, but it is a very low volume system averaging about 1 to 2 transactions per hour.

For us reliability is more important than speed. It is okay if a job is delayed by a day or two (on rare occasion), what matters most it is executed eventually.

2 Likes

Hi, I recently discovered hangfire and it’s great!!! Until now I’ve used it on four projects and everything is ok :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working with my Company’ client Fox Studios, we implemented several data management jobs with a simple Hangfire solution. It just recently made it to production after 3 months of work. It is looking good.

I do!
I use it as both a scheduler as well as a sort of ServiceBus enqueuing thing straight from my ASP.NET application and encountered no serious issue so far
I switched to Redis (custom port of original one) due to load on SqlServer version and it works smooth since 4 months!

Thank Sergey!

2 Likes

Hangfire has added simplicity and stability to our background job processing. After years of struggling with developing, deploying and monitoring messy Windows Services, we simply queue up jobs in Hangfire and publish our website. Remote monitoring is easy and it just works.

Mark Edwards, Software Engineering Manager at KCF Technologies

Hangfire has proven to be a robust approach for managing our scheduled tasks, while giving better visibility into the progress of long running tasks to our developers and end users.

Cory Kissinger, Head of Engineering at RightsLine

Hangfire is currently used as the central job manager for an enhancement to our core product offering. We are a SaaS product.

Various components, both user facing and back end, are constantly manipulating data across hundreds of databases. We use MSMQ to send messages that jobs maintained by hangfire our monitoring. When messages arrive, the hangfire job picks them up, manipulates the data as needed by rules setup by individual customers. It involves synchronizing cached data in Redis and directly updating our transactional data in SQL Server. Using Hangfire has allowed us to easily take advantage of the failover and scalability built into a process hosted in IIS.

Robert Evans, Team Lead / Architect at Social Solutions

We can say that Hangfire is easy to use but in the same time it’s very powerful tool. Hangfire helps us to handle time-consuming tasks in the background and to perform hundreds of scheduled jobs. Hangfire is very flexible and provides simple way to integrate with other libraries and different storages. Hangfire Dashboard with its user-friendly interface allows to get information about all our jobs, workers and servers in real-time. It’s very nice and useful!

Marta Yarotskaya, .NET Developer at BandLab

2 Likes

I also use HangFire in production and it has never failed me. I use it to periodically generate documents, do database actions and deletion of files. Until today not one job has failed.

1 Like

I have been using it in (3)three production environments for over a year now and it has worked perfectly. Normally I am deathly afraid to allow Nuget to perform updates, but with HangFire I have yet to run into an issue ( knock on wood). My traffic is roughly 200-400 users per days, running a full dashboard style system.

1 Like

Using hangfire at a large eCommerce fulfillment company in production for the last few months here. Zero complaints and millions of tasks completed.

Thanks so much for this great tool!

I will say that I am eagerly awaiting the support of async jobs!

4 Likes

We have been using hangfire for two weeks in our CRM application for a large fixed line telecomm services company.

First we deployed it as part of our Web App on 6 servers than we experienced a lot of unexpected behaviour like appearing and disappering hangfire servers etc. After that we moved to always running configuration with
Windows Services.

We are executing more than million jobs per day

3 Likes

We have been using Hangfire in production for a few weeks now flawlessly for our SaaS app Timestamp, running on a single small worker role in Azure with Azure Service Bus (https://github.com/HangfireIO/Hangfire.Azure.ServiceBusQueue).

We use it as a task scheduler (replacement for a Quartz.net-based scheduler) as well as offloading work from our front-end web servers. The code is easier to reason about, cleaner and much more efficient than our old custom-built processor.

Our biggest win is the monitoring, being able to really see what is going on and most importantly enough detail to track down issues and requeue when fixed right from the web interface. That alone has been worth the small investment in migrating (about 2 days).

3 Likes