Hangfire on sql server 2014 xp_userlock

we have a production instance of hangfire (1.5.3) running the xp_userlock stored proc constantly. We are not passing that much load through it, approx 6-10 jobs/day.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sql Server 2014 and Hangfire version 1.5.3

We are facing blocking issue due to xp_userlock while using Batch feature of Hangfire Pro. We are passing 10k jobs/day.

Any help would be appreciated.
SQL Server 2016 and Hangfire pro 2.1

Hangfire.Pro UseBatches xp_userlock

We are using SQL 2016. We are having by far the highest waits for locks caused by xp_userlock. Is there a way to remove/reduce these waits?

xp_userlock is causing 50% of overall server waits for SQL Server. Maybe myself and builders of hangfire can work together to find a solution. I am good at databases (SQL Server) but my knowledge of hangfire is limited edition :slight_smile:

Hi Baig,

To avoid xp_userlock, Please try to reducing the worker count. We have 60 (Workers) X 3 (Machine) = 180 total worker in our prod env. when batch starts to enqueue jobs (1 million) contention increase on SQL server and causing xp_userlock so we reduce down the workers to 5 (worker) X 3 (machine) = 15 total worker (currently on prod) are sufficient to our load. We have 1 million Job every 15 mins.

Guys, try to upgrade to the latest version, Hangfire 1.6.17. It contains the latest fixes, including the modified lock implementation for SQL Server. Please read the release notes for details.

We upgrade the Hangfire 1.6.17 but still facing xp_userlock issue. Please suggest.
Thanks - YS

At least they don’t eat SQL Server’s worker threads now, because of reduced wait times. @yogi, what resources are blocked? If they relate to Set, Hash and List tables, then it is currently by design – there’s no other deadlock-free technique, except a global lock, available to modify those tables with the current table structure.

As a part of 1.7.0 migration I’ve modified the underlying structure, so it will be possible to modify those tables without a global lock by applying a more granular locking to the concrete resources only, since all the data that belongs to the same key now reside close to each other.